Last year, spring break was a non-issue. This year I started searching the internet for spring break “camps” a few weeks before it started.
I discovered a few unexpected possibilities:
Academy of Natural Science offere full-day spring break camp for week $300.00 also offered before and after care. The camp also offers a scholarship that requires submitting application by the deadline.
Spring Break Academy Explorers Camp
March 28–April 10, 2012
Weekdays, 9 am–4 pm
Optional before- and after-care
Why spend your Spring Break at the Academy?
The camp is located right in Center City. Optional before-and-after care is also available. Each day includes a live presentation by one of the Academy’s teacher-naturalists, an exploration of our exhibits (including Outside In, Butterflies!, and the Big Dig) and “campers-only” games, crafts, and activities. Kids can:
- Spend the day getting to know dinosaurs, bugs, and live animals.
- Learn more about the environment with “green” activities.
- Perform experiments just like a real scientist.
You can reserve one day or multiple days.
The more days you reserve, the bigger the savings.
Make your reservations today! Call 215-299-1060.
- Awesome Animals (March 28 and April 6)
- Meet the cool critters of the Academy’s Live Animal Center and learn about their habitats around the world.
- Wild Science (March 29 and April 5)
- Unleash your inner mad scientist with jaw-dropping experiments and crazy creations.
- Dynamite Dinos (March 30, April 4 and 9)
- Take a closer look at the fun and fascinating dinosaurs that used to roam the earth.
- Buggin’ Out (April 2 and 10)
- Explore the weird, wild, and wonderful world of insects and other spineless wonders.
- Wonderful Water (April 3)
- Go under the sea, river, lake, and swamp and find out how all life depends on water.
- Members pay $55 per camper, per day.
(Members who reserve more than one camp day pay only $50 for each additional day.)
- Nonmembers pay $60 per camper, per day.
(Nonmembers who reserve more than one camp day pay only $55 for each additional day.)
- Before Care (8–9 am) is $10 per camper, per day.
After Care (4–5:30 pm) is $10 per camper, per day.
- Campers must bring their own lunches. A snack is provided each day.
- SCOP Scholarships
- Full scholarships for one full week of Academy Explorers Spring Break Camp are available to Philadelphia residents through the City of Philadelphia’s Support Community Outreach Program (SCOP). The application deadline is March 13, 2012.
Philadelphia Zoo offers a spring break camp
Spring Break Camp 2012
|Age Details||4- to 12-year olds|
|Date Details||Wednesday, April 4, 2012 – Friday, April 6, 2012|
|Time Details||9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.|
|Pricing Details||Members $60 per day (or $170 all three days) Nonmembers $75 per day (or $215 all three days)|
- Wednesday, April 4 – Dr. Seuss and the Lorax
- Thursday, April 5 – Trees and Tree Dwellers Alike
- Friday, April 6 – Orangs, Palm Oil and Once-lers
Open to Members and nonmembers. Pre-registration is required.
Campers who must be dropped off between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. or who have to stay beyond the 3:00 p.m. pick-up time, Before-Camp and After-Camp programs offer supervised games and activities. Pre-registration is required.
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
$5 per day
3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
$10 per day
Call 215-243-5254 to register today
Spring Break Camp 2012
More weeks to choose from to accommodate your school schedules!
Thursday, March 29, 2012
Friday, March 30, 2012
Monday, April 2, 2012 – SOLD OUT!
Tuesday, April 3, 2012 – SOLD OUT!
Wednesday, April 4, 2012 – SOLD OUT!
Thursday, April 5, 2012 – SOLD OUT!
Friday, April 6, 2012 – SOLD OUT!
Monday, April 9, 2012
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Thursday, April 12, 2012
Friday, April 13, 2012
As always, brand new science themes are being offered to campers in grades PreK-6 in 2012! Come spend your break where science is messy and learning is a blast.
Spring Break Camp is a great way to enjoy the excitement of Discovery Camp while taking advantage of flexible daily rates, for as many days as you want or need! If you have always wondered what Discovery Camp is all about, Spring Break is a great time to find out!
Discounts offered for multiple days!
$70 (non-members) (Call to inquire about half-day options)
Early Arrival: 8-9AM $7/day
Late Departure: 4-5:30PM $9/day
TO REGISTER, CONTACT: Group Sales – 215.448.1200
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Adrienne Kimball – 215.448.2195
Schuykill Center for Environmental Education (Roxborough)
Ages: 5 – 12
Times: 8 – 3pm (extended day options available until 6pm)
Daily Fee: $45/members and $55/non-members
Extended Day Fee: $15 (8am to 6pm)
Campers will need to bring:
- A bagged lunch (morning and afternoon snacks are provided)
- Sneakers or hiking shoes
- Extra pair of socks and shoes
- Clothing that is appropriate for the weather (programs will be outside during light rain and during the winter)
Program Dates & Topics:
Spring Break Camp 2012 — Climb High!
April 2 – April 6
This week we’ll explore ways in which humans, animals and nature defy gravity. We’ll begin our week at the Schuylkill Center building airplanes, hot air balloons and paper rockets in search of the highest flying machine. A visit from our wildlife ambassadors on Wednesday will give us a glimpse into how raptors, owls and vultures can soar hundreds of feet above the ground. On Thursday, we’ll put our gravity defying skills to the test as we join Go Vertical Climbing Gym staff for a day of indoor rock climbing. With climbing for all ages and abilities this will be a day of fun, challenge and teamwork. On Friday, we’ll take our climbing skills to Ringing Rocks State Park. Here we’ll explore the boulder field and make these rocks sing with our rock hammers. We’ll talk about why these rocks have such a unique sound and hike to the largest waterfall in the area.
Cost: See above, with additional field trip fees of $15/day/child for the Thursday and Friday sessions.
For more information about these and other programs for children, please call 215.482.7300 x 110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check with your local YMCA, when I called one of my great friends she suggested checking with the Y. I called the Y closest to home and unfortunately there were no programs offered for spring break. The Roxborough Y saved the day and we just made the child max for Wednesday and Thursday.
Roxborough YMCA Holiday Care Days
Holiday Care Days
Do you need child care on days school is not in session or on holiday breaks? Bring your child to the Roxborough YMCA for Holiday Care! Your child will socialize and have fun at the same time!
– Breakfast and snacks
– Special Theme Days
– Swim and gym time
– Arts and crafts, cooking, sports, games and more!
Holiday Care Hours:
Holiday Care Fees:
School Age Program Participants: $10/day
Full Privilege Members: $25/day
Program Members: $45/day
**A minimum of a Program Membership is required to attend Y Days
Here’s my list, check out these programs for next year! Hopefully I can hang out my “gone on vacation” sign !