*the bulbs were received free of charge for review purposes only, all opinions shared are my own*
Sylvania Smart Bulbs
How do Sylvania smart bulbs works? I see smart products everywhere and wondered how they work and with which devices. The Sylvania smart bulbs are a perfect addition to a living space especially if good lighting is required. The Sylvania smart bulbs I selected were the BR30 LED Light Bulb which is a 65-watt equivalent. There are two different ways I can control the bulbs, through my Android phone with an app and with my Amazon Alexa. In order to test the Sylvania Smart Home app, I added to my Android phone using Google Play. The app allows me to change the color contrast of the smart bulb and turn it on or turn off. Next, I tried to link the bulb to my Amazon Alexa to control with voice activation. The Amazon Alexa app has the skill Sylvania Smart Home to link the smart bulb to Alexa. I shared below how my feedback with the Android app and Amazon Alexa.
Pros and Cons of the Sylvania Smart Bulbs
- Adjustable lighting for living space
- Bluetooth compatible
- Links with Android phone with the Google Play app -Sylvania Smart Home
- Can also link with Samsung Smart Things app, (must purchase a hub)
- Links with Amazon Alexa using the Sylvania Smart Home skill for voice activation
- Links with Apple devices with Home Kit and Google Assistant
- Can schedule and automate lighting
- Amazon Alexa app did not link to the bulb which prevents voice activation
- Size of BR30 bulb limits the type of lamp you can use with this bulb
- Higher in price than a standard bulb
- Connecting to the Samsung Smart Things app requires an additional purchase
Sylvania Smart+ App with Android
I love the idea of adjusting the lighting of the Sylvania Smart bulb in each room where the bulbs are installed. It was disappointing when I tried to link to my Alexa app. After multiple attempts, it did not link with the Amazon Alexa.
From my android phone, I added the Sylvania Smart Home app:
- Connect to Wifi
2. Add a device which is the location of the bulb, from the phone the bulb can be turned on, off, and the hue of the bulb adjusted
The groups are the locations of each of the bulbs
Amazon Alexa set-up
From the Amazon Alexa app, I went to Skills and Games and searched for Sylvania Smart Home. This allows the Sylvania smart bulb to work through voice activation.
After setting up an account for Sylvania Smart Home I proceeded to link with Alexa. For some reason, the link did not work for Alexa and the Sylvania Smart Home skill. This was disappointing because I looked forward to scheduling the light.
Just in time for Fall organizing. If you are interested in buying the bulbs, you can find at Amazon, Home Depot and Lowe’s.