If you are considering scheduling a waxing and have decided on a Brazilian wax, here are a few items to know before and after the appointment. Another tidbit to consider is if you are a person with a low tolerance for pain, you may want to reconsider. Also, you have to be comfortable with the person who is performing this service. It is very up close and personal.
I would recommend an aesthetician (preferably) who you are comfortable with as this service is very up close and personal.
Fortunately for me, I found a wonderful certified aesthetician who works within a dermatological center.
Things to Do Before Scheduling an Appointment
- Find a licensed aesthetician
- The location for services is everything. Visit the location before booking an appointment to check out location, staff, and cleanliness.
- Also, ask what type is wax is used. My current aesthetician uses a soy based wax, however, this may cause an issue for someone with soy allergies.
It would be lying if I said it is not PAINFUL! The first time I had it done was right before my vacation. Remember each aesthetician will have their own technique for hair removal so again make sure you are comfortable with the overall process. The results last between4 to 6 weeks.
Before Your Appointment
- Now while I do not prep my skin beforehand, I have read that exfoliating the skin before will help avoid ingrown hairs.
- My skin is very sensitive to the heat of the wax prior to and right after my menstrual cycle. You may want to keep this is in mind prior to scheduling your appointment.
- I do see some will do a full or partial waxing, it all depends on your preference.
After Your Appointment
- After my first my Brazilian wax, I was told by the aesthetician to go commando(sans undies) and apply Gold Bond powder to the area to prevent irritation.
- Now after multiple waxes under my belt, I apply the product Bikini Zone to the area and this works well.
- I am susceptible to ingrown hairs so shaving is not an option for me which is why I prefer waxing.
You can find my aesthetician, Jennifer Morgan at Dermatological Associates of Bryn Mawr in Wynnewood, PA.