Fifty approached faster than I imagined. When I look back at the age of forty and everything within a span of ten years I am amazed. It is overwhelming how life evolves in ten years. I will say there were a lot of highs and lows. As I reflect back on the last ten years, it is filled with new addresses, new jobs, and new relationships.
Fifty and Ten Things Learned in Ten Years
- My divorce is one of the best decisions to come out of the last ten years. I swear turning forty was a major awakening. Also, a lesson to never believe I am stuck in a dysfunctional situation. Although, change is challenging it means progress toward a better life.
- I love discovering things that make me happy. It is not selfish to enjoy me-time or to do things that I enjoy for me. The solo meals are the best. Treat yourself to gifts.
- My health has become a major priority by incorporating fitness, healthy eating, annual check-ups and finding ways to de-stress.
- I learned it is never too late to try something new. This year I participated in a 5k. It was for a good cause and a lot of fun at the same time. I took a few yoga and pilates classes for added physical activities.
- The best moments shared are with those who support you in good and bad times.
- Change is a part of life and sometimes this means moving out of a comfort zone.
- The word NO is powerful and feels good beyond measure. It is impossible for me to be all things to everyone else if I am not taking care of myself.
- Spending time away is the best medicine even if it is solo.
- A new experience does wonders for outlook.
- I am not sure if there is ever balance but taking days off for vacation or mental health is a necessity.
Each year is a blessing and making the most of each year is the best way to live.