SAT Prep Course
Senior year is the finale of high school and it is not without challenges. In preparation for the SAT, I thought it was a good idea for my senior to take a prep course. Last spring, he registered for a 6-week course and half-way through he lost motivation. The course has required homework and practice tests. All of this additional work is in addition to regular school work. My teen skipped taking all of the proctored practice exams offered, did not complete all of the homework and missed taking the practice exams. His score did not improve significantly. The company used was extremely helpful in driving success on the SAT. Make-up practice exams were offered but my teen did not take advantage of the scheduling. The group course was $695 and included twelve hours of group instruction and four proctored practice exams. The company offers different courses dependent on the student’s needs.
Tips for selecting prep course:
- Improving SAT score is a priority
- time management is critical to complete the additional work assigned
- make sure the instruction time for classes does not conflict with other activities
- teen needs to commit to finishing the coursework in its entirety
- take all practice exams and schedule make-up exams if necessary
My teen paid for his initial SAT which was scheduled on a Saturday at his high school in the Spring. I paid for him to re-take the test but it was actually a re-schedule from the first test. He decided to pay to take it again to improve his score. For his first SAT, he was unable to take the test because he forgot his school ID. On the third date, he forgot to print out the admission ticket and was unable to find his school ID. There are no refunds for these circumstances.
Tips for SAT morning:
- print out admission ticket the night before, put school ID or driver’s license in the car the night before or near the door
- eat brekfast
- arrive 20-30 minutes before the test is scheduled to begin
The Fall semester also means FAFSA form, which is submitted to the universities/colleges of choice for financial aid award packages.
- Submit FAFSA on or after October 1st
- Make sure you are completing the FAFSA form for the correct upcoming school year for senior For example, our form is for the school year 2019-2020
- Write down the parent’s username/password and student’s username and password and store in a folder
- Organize the necessary forms specifically W2, Income Tax Return, and other financial forms
- Read the directions thoroughly and complete the fields correctly
- eview the form at the end before submitting
If there are mistakes on the form, it allows you to edit and resubmit to all of the schools on the list. I realized after receiving the financial package from one school my form had a significant error. Luckily, the financial aid office was able to identify the error quickly.