2017 Time Soul Cycle class
*this post includes an affiliate link which means I will receive a commission if you click and purchase or sign up for the REDcard*
SOUL CYCLE ARDMORE
My physical exercise for the weekend. In the past 12 years, I have tried to look for different ways to workout such as spinning, yoga, pilates, and pole fitness. Ater seeing a celebrity talking about SOUL CYCLE, I researched my area to see if there was a studio. When I contacted a New Jersey studio, I learned a new studio was opening in Ardmore. After contacting the company, I was able to secure a group ride for myself and some friends.
What better way to jump start my holiday weekend than with a calorie burning new workout. Yesterday, I took my first class at 11:45 with Ryan L. For anyone who is interested in stepping up their workout regimen, I would highly suggest SOUL CYCLE. This is my newbie chronicle of what to expect for your first class. When you walk in the lobby it is so bright and cheery. The staff members are at the front desk to assist you upon check-in. The first step is to reserve a bike online so once you enter the studio you have to check in with your reserved bike. If you do not have your own cycling shoes, shoes are provided for $3 and bottles of water for $2. There are combination lockers outside of the room to lock up all of your personal items. Oh, just so you know NO PHONES ARE ALLOWED in the room while class is in session.
As I anxiously waited for the class to start, I could feel my anticipation building. Just then the door opened and the previous class was leaving. I could tell it was quite a workout from the looks on everyone’s face and the fact most were DRENCHED! Once a class is finished, the staff members go inside to clean the room for the next class. My first thought, this is going to be a MAJOR WORKOUT! It can be a little intimidating as you enter the room because the lights are down low as well as during the class.
If you’re a newbie don’t worry about adjusting your bike or locking your shoes. SOUL CYCLE has you covered with staff members in the room to assist you with adjusting the bike and locking in your shoes. Yes, your shoe LOCKS in each pedal.
Before you take the class definitely know your FITNESS level. The class is a full 45 minutes of an upper body, lower body and of course cardio cycling workout. There are three positions on the bike to place your hands, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. You are not sitting on the saddle over the course of the RIDE. There are times during the interval in which you are standing and holding the handlebars in 2nd and 3rd position. Now you get the reason for the shoe LOCKING in each pedal!
As a newbie, it is important to provide you with some tips on CONQUERING your first class. These are some of the things I did to prepare my body. The Sunday before I did my TRX, Tuesday a PILATES video so my week ended with SOUL CYCLE. As I mentioned before this is a major cardio workout so you will sweat which means you need to hydrate the body.
SOUL CYCLE WORKOUT
Day Before the WORKOUT
- Water is essential on a daily basis. I tried to drink at least 64oz of water which is my body’s comfort level for water consumption.
- Dinner, I prepared pasta to fuel my body with a nice serving of carbohydrates. I added some the marinara sauce with turkey meatballs for an addition of protein.
- I tried not to eat any extras loaded with sugar although I had a few tablespoons of ice cream. For the rest of the night before bed, I drank water.
Morning of WORKOUT
- Breakfast, I had plain oatmeal to fuel my body with a good carbohydrate
- No coffee and started drinking water
- Continued to drink water, water, and more water
- I took time to stretch my arms and legs before class
What to bring to the studio, arrive early I would suggest at least 20 minutes
- If you have your own shoes, you are free to bring
- Soul Cycle rents cycling shoes for $3
- Bring either a full-size water bottle or at least 2 individual water bottles, the bike has 2 water bottle holders underneath the handlebars. The studio sells water bottles for $2. YOU WILL NEED TO HYDRATE during class
- Towels are provided on each bike, however, you may prefer to bring your own
- Wear comfortable shorts or pants that are non-chafing due to the workout you want apparel that wicks away the sweat
- Wear a comfortable SPORTS BRA as you are not stationary throughout the 45-minute interval
- Make sure you wear an effective ANTIPERSPIRANT! Trust me you will thank me later! The bikes are close together and if you read the SOUL ETIQUETTE it explains it clearly
- A light snack after the WORKOUT
DURING THE INTERVAL:
- Know your limits, if you cannot keep up don’t worry! Just go at your own pace and keep pedaling! There were times during the interval I rested in the saddle
After the WORKOUT
- HYDRATE, drink plenty of water
- I grabbed a light snack after the workout, i.e. energy bars, nuts, fruit
- I felt the urge to eat something smart and balanced. After burning all of those calories, I wanted a smart and healthy meal to refuel my body
The restrooms and showers are thoroughly cleaned and inviting for you to use before and after class.
My instructor was Ryan L. who is PHENOMENAL! The location is perfect in Ardmore’s Suburban Square. There is a FREE parking lot across the street from the studio.
ENJOY THE RIDE! If you’re in the area, you can reserve your first or next class here SOUL CYCLE ARDMORE!