“When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Lemonade”
Divorce-What am I Learning About Raising Kids After Divorce?
After divorce, I learned what is means to parent as a single parent.
- I realized there are times when the conversations with my children are not pleasant. The circumstances of divorce may warrant explanations that are tough however I believe in transparency. This is also dictated by the age of the child(ren) in terms of the nature of the discussion. It should definitely be tailored around the maturity of the child(ren).
- Never underestimate the need for utilizing outside resources to help with PARENTING. Seeking a mental health professional for children is a great way for children to express their feelings and emotions in a different space.
- There are times when I have to say NO! This is tough because as the parent you want to provide as much as you possibly can without restrictions. However, there are circumstances beyond my control that warrant this response. I try to provide my kids with an explanation if feasible. Again I think they need to understand the reality of balancing what we need and what we want.
- I cannot harbor guilt for making real life decisions.
- Be PROACTIVE despite the challenges of having to make vital decisions.
- You have to set GROUND RULES!
- Parenting is not PERFECT!
- Every day presents a new opportunity to REFRESH and RENEW!
- Ask for help when needed!
- It never hurts to have a support network of like-minded parents.