As a teen I have struggled with acne the dermatologist I saw at the time prescribed Retina A which was very effective. Now that I am well over 40 I have become extremely serious with really taking care of my skin. In my late 30s I started using sunscreen more frequently and insist on using a facial moisturizer with sunscreen. Yes, as an AFRICAN-AMERICAN woman I wear sunscreen. Our skin does have melanin however it is susceptible to sun damage(therefore skin cancer) as well. Don’t BELIEVE THE HYPE, if you think otherwise! I say PRESERVE it NOW OR pay for it LATER! with sun damaged skin and premature aging.
After reading a skincare regimen shared by a previous makeup artist I stepped up my skincare regimen! My new rules include 1) cleanse 2)tone 3) exfoliate 4)moisturize 5)nighttime retinoid creme
- Remove all make up with a make up remover cloth(just tried the Ambi cloths and I do like the feel, no residue) I have yet to find in any of the mass merchandiser. You can find here at Amazon
- Use a mild facial cleanser(NO SOAP except the CETAPHIL cleansing bar) to remove remaining makeup and dirt. Soap clogs my pores and leaves a residue.
- Use a toner(astringent) with salicylic acid to control and minimize my breakouts. This also helps to remove makeup and remaining dirt. Yes I am still experiencing acne at 46.
- Apply moisturizer with sunscreen, I love the Ambi brand because it really does moisturize my skin and the plus is it has sunscreen.
- Apply MAC makeup primer, MAC N9 foundation, Pro Longwear concealer,
*Also I use my Clarisonic Mia 2 x a week for exfoliation ( daily use is too much for my skin). Just make sure you buy the brush heads for your specific skin type. Also change the heads every 3 months. It is more cost effective to buy a dual pack of the brush heads.
Wash makeup brushes weekly with shampoo. Lay flat to dry. I learned a valueable lesson from a makeup artist at MAC, do not soak brushes. I previously soaked them in Dawn and it loosened my brush from the base. Also toss cosmetics according to the shelf life of that product and don’t share any cosmetics. After having a stye I no longer use mascara(not sure if this was the culprit) but I have not used in 4 months.
Here’s a great article on life span for cosmetics WHEN TO TOSS OUT MAKEUP
- Remove make up with a make up remover cloths.
- Use a mild facial cleanser(NO SOAP UNLESS CETAPHIL cleansing bar) to remove remaining makeup and dirt
- Use a toner(astringent) with salicylic acid to control and minimize my breakouts. This also helps to remove any makeup or dirt left on face. Oh and yes I am still experiencing acne at 46.
- My aesthetician suggested I try a Retinoid product to help with breakouts, uneven skin tone and anti-aging. She suggested a product by Avene Retrinal 0.1 Intensive Creme. I only use this at night without my moisturizer. I apply a pearl size for my face and neck. A little goes a long way. ( I have used for 3 weeks and I can see improvement in my skin tone and no continuous breakouts.
If you want to order any of the products mentioned here, check out my Amazon Store, SKINCARE.
Also I love to support womenpreneurs so if you are looking for lip liners, lip gloss and lipstick please check out YARIMAKEUPCHIC. I just placed my first order!!!!!